A tongue-twister is a phrase that is designed to be difficult to articulate properly, and can be used as a type of spoken (or sung) word game. Some tongue-twisters produce results which are humorous (or humorously vulgar) when they are mispronounced, while others simply rely on the confusion and mistakes of the speaker for their amusement value.
Here’s a collection of tongue twisters that will entertain and keep children preoccupied while having fun! Repeat them a few times!
1. If a Hottentot tot taught a Hottentot tot to talk before the tot would
totter, ought the Hottentot tot be taught to say ought, or naught, or what
ought to be taught the Hottentot tot? If to hoot and to toot a Hottentot
tot be taught by a Hottentot tutor, should the tutor get hot if the
Hottentot tot hoots and toots at the Hottentot tutor?
2. Theophilius Thistle, thistle sifter, sifted a sieve of unsifted thistles.
If Theophilius Thistle, the thistle sifter, sifted the sieve of unsifted
thistles where is the sieve of unsifted thistles Theophilius Thistle, the
thistle sifter, sifted?
3. Slippery sleds slide smoothly down the sluice-way
4. She sells sea shells by the sea shore, the shells that she sells are see
shells for sure
5. Around the rugged rocks the ragged rascal ran
6. How now, brown cow?
7. Short sails should sail surer seawards
8. Theo thrust a thumb through two or three thick straw thatches
9. The rate collector correctly collected two or three thick straw thatches
10. A fitful young fisher named Gabriel Fisher
Once fished for some fish in a fissure
Till a fish with a grin
Pulled the fisherman in –
Now they are fishing the fissure for Fisher
11. A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, “Let us flee!”
“Let us fly!” said the flea.
And they flew through a flow in the flue
12. Five fit fishers shipped six thick fish dishes
13. Knott and Shott fought a duel. The result was that they changed
conditions. Knott was shot and Shott was not. It was better to be Shott
14. A black cat sat on a mat and ate a fat rat. What a black cat!
15. He sighed, she sighed, they both sighed, side by side, down beside the
16. If a twist twists a twister and the twist that twists the twister
untwists the twister, what becomes of the twist?
17. Shoals of shrimps and soles should be sold in shrimp shops
18. If a doctor is doctoring a doctor, does the doctor doing the doctoring
have to doctor the doctor the way the doctor being doctored wants to be
doctored or does the doctor doctor the way he usually doctors?
19. If white chalk chalks on a black blackboard, will black chalk chalk on a
20. What noise annoys an oyster most?
A noisy noise annoys an oyster most.
21. Ripe white wheat reapers reap ripe white wheat right.
22. Each Easter Eddie eats eighty Easter eggs.
23. She slits the sheet she sits on.
24. A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets
of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
25. Red lolly, yellow lolly.
26. A twister of twists once twisted a twist.
and the twist that he twisted was a three twisted twist.
now in twisting this twist, if a twist should untwist,
would the twist that untwisted untwist the twists.
27. I am a mother pheasant plucker,
I pluck mother pheasants.
I am the best mother pheasant plucker,
that ever plucked a mother pheasant!
28. Mrs Hunt had a country cut front
in the front of her country cut pettycoat.
29. Where Molly had had “had had”, “had had” had had the teacher’s approval.
30. Whenever the weather is cold.
Whenever the weather is hot.
We’ll whether the weather,
whatever the weather,
whether we like it or not.
[like url=http://www.bambinis.net/education-2/tongue-twisters/tongue-twisters-2/ action=like width=250 height=100]
Leave a Reply