Ever since my 3rd grader finished reading all 7 Harry Potter books, I have been hearing Avada Kedavra, Crucio and Expecto Patronum at my house non stop! He even taught his younger brother all the famous spells and their favorite activity has become reenacting fight scenes from the books. The only problem they didn’t have the wands. Don’t get me wrong, they really used their imagination to make wands from paper, pencils and sticks but nothing came close to the beautifully made original wands. Disappointed, they kept asking me to buy them wands. One wanted an Elder wand and the other – Malfoy’s.
I finally gave in and decided to shop around a bit. To my surprise, the prices for the wands were a bit too much, considering the fact that they will be broken soon enough, since my boys would really abuse them.
And I thought, why not to make them ourselves? I knew this would be a fun craft idea for my boys since they really wanted those wands. So, one rainy weekend we set down to make those desired handmade Harry Potter Wands…
1. Cover a table or any working space with something to protect it. Take a sheet of white (preferably hard stock) paper (for durability), lay it flat on the table and put any kind of glue you have on hand all over it, on the side facing up. Now, begin rolling the paper, starting on one corner all the way to the end, to achieve a cone like shape.
2. Give it a few minutes for the glue to dry. You can put rubber bands all over the band, so it doesn’t come undone while you wait for it to dry. Once dry, cut both end of the wand to make them straight.
3. Stuff the wand from the wide end with paper scraps for durability and also to preserve your glue gun sticks which you will be using for decorations. For paper scarps we used old newspapers ripped into pieces. Put enough paper to fill the wand.
4. For this step you will need your glue gun. We have a mini gun but you can use any size you have on hand. Please, make sure kids are under adult supervision when handling a glue gun, since it’s extremely hot and can cause burns if not handled properly. Begin with the wide part of the wand. Fill the top opening creating a knob like top. Wait few minutes for it to dry.
5. Using glue gun create different designs on your wand. Since my boys wanted wands identical to Harry Potter characters’, we tried to recreate the designs on those wands. We also made a wand for me, on which I randomly swiveled the glue gun around. I also put a skull bead on the top of my wand before the glue had dried. Let that dry.
6. After a few minutes when the glue has settled/ cooled down and you can hold the wand in your hand, decorate the thinner end of the wand with similar but smaller knob like top. Let it dry.
7. Next step is to color your wands. You can put primer before coloring but since we didn’t have any on hand we just used acrylic paint. Only the top part of my wand was covered with spray paint since I had gold paint on hand. Use smaller brushes to color the glue designs on the wand. Use your imagination!
8. Now that your wands are ready, it’s time to practice your spells!
Here’s a list of famous Harry Potter spells, charms and curses to try with your newly made wands. You can download Harry Potter List of Spells here for you to save.
Accio Charm – Summons an object.
Aguamenti Charm – Shoots water from wand.
Alohomora Charm – Opens locked objects.
Anapneo Spell – Clears the target’s airway.
Aparecium Spell – Reveals invisible ink.
Avada Kedavra Curse – Murders opponent. Unforgivable
Avifors Charm – Turns small objects into birds.
Avis Spell – Launches birds from your wand.
Crucio Curse – Tortures opponent. Unforgivable.
Confundus Charm – Used to confuse opponent.
Conjunctivitis Curse – Damages opponents eyesight.
Deletrius Spell – Counters “Prior Incatato”.
Densaugeo Spell – Enlarges teeth.
Diffindo Spell – Splits seams.
Dissendium Spell – Opens “One eyed witch” hump.
Engorgio Charm – Enlarges an item.
Ennervate Spell – Counters Stupefy.
Expecto Patronum Charm – Creates a Patronus.
Expelliarmus Charm – Disarms your opponent.
Ferula Spell – Creates bandages.
Fidelius Charm – Hides a secret within someone.
Finite Incantatum Spell – Stops any current spells.
Flipendo Jinx – Knocks an object backwards.
Furnunculus Curse – Produces boils on opponent.
Homorphus Charm – Lockhart’s Werewolf “cure”.
Immobulus Charm – Renders target immobile.
Impedimenta Charm – Slows an advancing object.
Imperio Curse – Controls a person. Unforgivable.
Impervius Charm – Makes an object repel water.
Incendio Spell – Starts a fire.
Legilimens Spell – Allows the caster to delve into the mind of the victim.
Locomotor Mortis Curse – Locks opponents legs.
Lumos Spell – Creates light at wand tip.
Mobiliarbus Charm – Moves objects with wand.
Mobilicorpus Spell – Moves unconscious bodies.
Morsmorde Spell – Conjures the Dark Mark.
Nox Spell – Counter to Lumos.
Obliviate Charm – Erases memories.
Orchideous Spell – Conjures a bunch of flowers.
Petrificus Totalus Spell – Body – bind.
Point Me Charm – Wand acts like a compass.
Priori Incantatum Spell – Result when brother wands duel.
Prior Incantato Spell – Reveals a wands last spell / cast.
Protego Charm – Cause spells to reflect back to the sender.
Quietus Spell – Counter spell for Sonorus.
Reducio Spell – Returns items to original size. Counters Engorgio.
Reducto Spell – Blasts solid objects aside.
Relashio Spell – Releases user from binding.
Repairo Spell – Repairs things.
Rictusempra Charm – Tickles opponent.
Riddikulus Spell – Use this spell and laugh to defeat a boggart.
Scruge Charm – Destroys ectoplasm (remains of ghosts).
Serpensortia Spell – Produces snake.
Sonorus Spell – Amplifies voice.
Stupefy Spell – Knocks out opponent.
Tarantallegra Spell – Forces opponent to dance.
Waddiwasi Spell – Unsticks an object.
Wingardium Leviosa Charm – Makes an object fly.